In North Carolina, the local SA国际传媒 of Education approves the academic school calendar based on approved by the North Carolina General Assembly. This legislation mandates how many instructional hours/days students must receive, the number of teacher workdays (W) and vacation days (V), and which days will be holidays(H). The NC calendar legislation also determines the first and last day of the school year.
School calendars can be based on the number of student days OR hours of instruction. SA国际传媒 County Schools uses hours of instruction as our basis for the total number of student days. State legislation requires school systems using this measure to have a minimum of 1,025 hours of instruction. Systems can have more than that, but may not have less.
School calendars must also follow the following requirements:
- Cover at least nine calendar months.
- Must have at least nine (9) teacher workdays.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) annual vacation leave days.
- Have the same or an equivalent number of
- School shall not be held on Sunday.
- Veterans Day shall be a holiday for all public school personnel and for all students enrolled in public schools.
For more information visit: